When you increase pulse intake and reduce cereal intake you can increase protein content of your meals.
Increasing protein intake helps in the following;
- Reducing your fat – responsible for disease and its complications
- Increases your muscle mass thus increasing your resistance power and reducing weight and Insulin resistance.
WAYS TO INCORPORATE PULSES IN THE DIET
- Taken in form of vegetable or Usal
- Soaked and Crushed
- Sprouted form
– To be added in pudla, dhokla, Idli
- Soaked, Crushed and Fermented
– Dhokla, Idli, Meduwada, Dosa
- Sprouted Raw
– Can be added in Salad, Raita, Dhokla, Pudla and Idli
- Sprouted Cooked and Steamed
– Salad, Raita, Vegetables, usal or incorporated in Parathas Thepla, Soups, Upma and Poha
– Chana, Soya bean (available in form of flour, nuggets (nutrella), Soya chunks and Soya paneer (tofu)
- Soya bean flour can be added in the wheat flour while making chapatis.
- Soya chunks /nuggets can be added in pulav, noodles.
- Soya paneer can be replaced for the normal paneer in some recipes.
Use Mung, Math, Chana (Raw, Steamed or Cooked) as a filler or ingredient in the following food articles.
- Meduwada – Boiled
- Tawa Parathas (Roasted)