When your blood sugar goes below 80mg/dl , it is considered as hypoglycemia.
If you suspect Hypo, here’s what you should do
Don’t waste time BUT ACT!
If possible, check your Blood Sugar to confirm you’re in a Hypo state.
If complaints / suggest Hypo and Blood Sugar is high, even then you treat like Hypo without any fear.
Remember: Giving yourself hypo treatment does not do any harm even if you were not really in hypo.
So here’s what you should do if your blood sugar is below 80mg/dl
- Immediately take (or give) 3-teaspoon sugar/ glucose.
- Wait for 15 mins then recheck the blood sugar, if still below 80mg/dl, then again consume 15 gms or 3 tsp of sugar.
- Avoid Diet Drinks, Oily Sweets, Biscuits, Chocolate
- If Patient cannot swallow on his own, make a paste of 2-teaspoon Sugar or Glucose and put it in the mouth or rub like toothpaste on gums
- After recovery immediately take (or give) other food articles to avoid further hypo.
- Keep calm, be patient as it takes time to recover. Don’t over feed.